Both Client and Volunteer

By Anonymous, Peer Support Volunteer and Client

I first came to Shanti as a volunteer in the Activities Department in 1997. The following January I participated in the training to become a peer volunteer, and was soon after matched with a client. The training was invigorating, hopeful and a real eye-opener for me. I saw and learned new ways of being in a relationship, of giving support in a non-judgmental and honest manner. I learned how to just "be there" for someone else without my own personal agenda interfering with real compassionate caring. In a word, I learned how to be a better friend, son, brother, person to the people around me.

I had a fun and powerful year with my client. We would go to concerts or dinner and take long walks and have conversations based on his needs, what was up for him that week. My reward was the look on his face when he realized that I was on his side, there for him physically and emotionally. However, as the year wore on, my own health became less stable. I, too, am HIV positive, and face many of the same challenges as my client. So I chose to end my client match and, in turn, become a client, and I took on a volunteer of my own.

I have had two volunteers, both young women with incredible energy, love and dedication. My current volunteer and I have been matched for five years - she is the little sister I never had and the type of friend I yearned for. She has shared my joy as my health has returned to a vigor I haven't felt in decades. She has been thoughtful and caring as she has shared my life.

I have received so much as a client and volunteer with Shanti that I have been compelled to continue to help and volunteer with Shanti in whatever capacity they need me. Shanti is in my blood. It is an organization that is based on love and respect. It has been an honor and a privilege to be associated with the high caliber of people who have followed their hearts in order to do the right thing as staff and volunteers at Shanti. I want to emphasize that you, too, can have this sort of enriching experience. If you have love and acceptance and a little time to give to another person, then Shanti may be the right fit for you. Check it out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment